- I am not an abstractionist. ... I am not interested in the relationships of color or form or anything else. ... I'm interested only in expressing basic human emotions — tragedy, ecstasy, doom and so on — and the fact that a lot of people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures show that I communicate those basic human emotions. ... The people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when I painted them. And if you, as you say, are moved only by their color relationships, then you miss the point!
- Conversations with Artists by Selden Rodman, New York Devin-Adair 1957. p. 93.; reprinted as "Notes from a conversation with Selden Rodman, 1956" in Writings on Art : Mark Rothko (2006) edited by Miguel López-Remiro
- A painting is not about an experience. It is an experience.
- As quoted in "Mark Rothko" by Dorothy Seiberling in LIFE magazine (16 November 1959), p. 52
Exploration of the relationships between the strong layering of colors, the flow in rhythmic patterns and solid block thick layering of paint with back lit silhouetted forms and overlapping thick brush strokes, blotches and smudges thereby creating space and movement in abstracted form. Expression through the instinctual interaction with the paint, the color palette choice and the somewhat identifiable symbolic forms and themes emerge in the moment. If my work incites different imagery and viewer emotional responses then it will have accomplished the perpetuation of the momentary viewer participation at each showing.
- La vie est belle..........
Shows and Exhibitions:
2019: Halton Hills Cultural Center, Photo Art, Juried show - 5 Shots were accepted.
2018: Halton Hills Cultural Center, Photo Art, Juried show - Night Light - Award Honorable Mention
2017 : Helson Gallery Georgetown ,Locally Grown Celebrating Canada Juried Show, Headwaters Gallery, O Canada Juried Show
2016 : The Headwaters Gallery -Transformations Juried Show , Annual Artworks Oakville Juried Show,The Headwaters Gallery-Headwaters Arts Festival Annual Juried Show, Helson Gallery Georgetown-12 x 12 photography show
2015: The Heasdwaters Gallery-Juried show-This Changes Everything. The Headwaters Gallery-Winter Show, The Falls Gallery
2014-Faces, Places and Spaces Juried Show/Headwaters Gallery at the Alton Mill Arts Centre . Ideas Woven in Abstraction / Falls Gallery Group Show at the Alton Mill Arts Centre. March Madness Juried Group Show/ Headwaters Gallery. The Maple Show/Falls Gallery Group Show at the Alton Mill Arts Centre. Awakenings Juried Group Show/Headwaters Gallery at the Alton Mill Arts Centre. Summertime and the Living is Easy / Falls Gallery Group Show at the Alton Mill Arts Centre. The Falls Gallery Christmas Show/ The Not So Run of The Mill Art Show.